Attempted Murder/Suicide – Wounded – Man (Wichita, KS)


A man who walked into a gift shop Thursday and shot his ex-girlfriend’s boyfriend before turning the shotgun on himself has died, Wichita police confirmed on Monday.

The 40-year-old man shot himself in the head shortly after 2 p.m. on Thursday at the Flying Pig Gift Boutique, 2600 E. Douglas, and died just before 5 p.m. Friday at Wesley Medical Center, Capt. Brent Allred said.

Police said he went into the boutique and ordered everyone in the shop to leave except his 31-year-old ex-girlfriend and the 46-year-old man who is her new boyfriend. She fled out a back door with others, but the boyfriend was shot as he walked toward the front of the store to confront the shooter.

The victim left the store, heard another shot and thought his girlfriend might be in danger, so he broke a window on the west side of the business as a distraction, police said. When he re-entered the store, he found the shooter on the floor.

Both victims were taken to Wesley for treatment, police said.

WICHITA, Kan. — UPDATE: The man accused of shooting another and then himself at an east Wichita business Thursday afternoon has died.

The shooting happened around 2:15 p.m. at the Flying Pig Gift Boutique, a resale shop in the 2600 block of east Douglas. That’s two blocks east of Grove.

According to Wichita Police, a 40-year-old man walked into the store, which is owned by his 31-year-old ex-girlfriend. He was carrying a shotgun and asked everyone inside to leave, saying he was looking for two people.

His ex-girlfriend left the store through the backdoor at the same time her current 46-year-old boyfriend walked in.

The suspect confronted the other man, then shot him in the leg/groin area. The 46-year-old was able to get out of the store, then heard two more shots. He peeked in through a window and saw the suspect had shot himself in the head.

Police arrived, and both men were rushed to a local hospital.

The victim is now listed in good condition and is expected to be released on Saturday.

The suspect passed away at around 5 p.m. Friday, his sister said. She also said that despite police reports saying he was expected to recover, he had a slim chance of survival. No names were released.

Police believe the shooting was domestic-related. Officers say the suspect had sought out his ex-girlfriend and her new boyfriend.

The 46-year-old had earlier reported to police earlier this month that the suspect had threatened him over the phone.–Two-people-shot-in-east-Wichita-236608621.html


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s