Some of you reading this will have been fighting for #gunsense and commonsense gun laws for some time. Some will have just joined the fight. Welcome to everyone.
Some of you will have always been ‘political’. For some of you this will be the first time you’re getting directly involved in a political movement. We are all cynical about politicians and Congress, but something has made you take that decision to say “I MUST ACT”.
Perhaps the 6-year-olds murdered at Newtown was your defining moment. Perhaps you or a loved one have been directly affected by gun violence. Perhaps you are fed up with people telling you that thousands and thousands of Americans dying each year is just “collateral damage” and a “new normal”. Perhaps you are a gun owner who knows that commonsense regulation is needed and are fed up with the NRA’s extremist stance.
You are right not to accept this situation. You are right to no longer stay silent. You are right to take action. You are right to push your politicians.
Without you, the field is left to the special interests and lobbying firms of the gun industry.
Without you, the field is left to those who spread misinformation, fear and paranoia with the sole purpose of making more money from selling guns to whomever they can get away with.
Without you, more children and teenagers will die needlessly.
Without you, more children will cower in lockdown bathrooms, terrified as they cram themselves in during a living nightmare.
Without you, more women will be subjected to deadly domestic abuse.
Without you, America will continue to head to a very dark place.
But with you, things CAN and WILL change for the better.
Make THIS YEAR the year when you take real and meaningful action.
Here are 5 #Gunsense New Year Resolutions – how many can you commit to and follow through on?
- I will contact my Senator(s) and State Senator(s) at least THREE times this year and demand that they support commonsense gun laws (such as the “Big Ten”).
- I will engage at least THREE friends or family members who currently do not support commonsense gun laws but who I think can be persuaded when given the facts.
- I will make a financial contribution this year to an organization lobbying for commonsense gun laws (Unfortunately money really does matter when pushing politicians).
- If I have children, I will ask THREE fellow families if they have guns in the home and, if so, how they are stored.
- I will encourage at least FIVE friends or acquaintances to take meaningful action this year (either by telling them about my actions or sharing these #gunsense resolutions).
These resolutions are all real and effective steps you can take this year to push for commonsense gun safety laws. Hopefully they sound reasonable and achievable. And if you can do more, all the better!
The #gunsense majority must also speak up for each other. You will find that the extremists may make personal attacks on you and get angry, both online and face-to-face. Stay calm and stick together. Don’t let them waste our focus or energy. We don’t need to persuade every single American and every single politician, just the majority. That is the beauty of democracy.
The #gunbullies and extremists are loud but they do NOT represent the majority of Americans, who want reasonable commonsense gun safety laws. It’s time for that majority to speak up, forcefully, loudly, respectfully but with an unwavering determination to reduce the number of victims of gun violence each year.
This cannot be put off any longer. Let’s go to work on our politicians RIGHT NOW and ensure that our children and grandchildren are not faced with this cancer of gun violence.
Because, if not now, when?
Follow US Gun Violence and spread the message that “Strong Gun Laws Save Lives”.