DETROIT, MI — Mike Reda, the 66-year-old Detroit man accused of a double-homicide, has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder, felony murder, assault with intent to murder and felonious use of a firearm.
Police say Reda entered the Pablo Davis Elder Living Center in the 9200 block of Vernor in Southwest Detroit about 5:15 p.m. Sunday armed with a long gun.
He opened fire, fatally wounding Deborah M. Socia, 59 and Maria Victoria Gonzalez, 61, who were residents of the center, accotding to Wayne County Prrosecutor Kym Worthy’s office.
“It is further alleged that Reda held a man at gunpoint, but the man was able to escape by running away,” a Tuesday statement from Worthy’s office said. “Both women were transported to a local hospital and pronounced dead as a result of suffering multiple gunshot wounds.”
Reda is scheduled to be araigned at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday in the 36th District Court.
The Associated Press reported that the incident occurred after Reda, also a tenant of the senior center, had an argument and broke up with his girlfriend. He blamed the victims for the break-up.
Neighbors tell Fox 2’s Randy Wimbley they believe the incident would have been avoided if management had taken their complains about Reda seriously. Fox 2 obtained a copy of the lease which prohibits engaging in acts of violence – and that’s something neighbors say Reda did often.
“He would come out on his balcony and shoot his gun straight into Woodmere Cemetery,” Michelle O’Neal tells Fox 2’s Randy Wimbley.
A boyfriend of a resident who lived across the hall from Reda says Reda threatened him several times. “I told management somebody was going to get hurt and they just didn’t listen,” the man says. “I was taking groceries upstairs and he ran up in back of me and was trying to cut me with a box cutter.” He continues: “There’s a police report; three times he pulled a gun on me. There’s police reports each time and management never took care of it.”
DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – Family members of a woman who was killed in a shooting at a Detroit retirement home have filed a lawsuit as their loved one’s killer prepares to spend the rest of his life behind bars.
Mike Reda, 61, appeared in Wayne County Circuit Court Thursday morning where a judge handed down two mandatory life sentences without the possibility of parole in the deaths of 59-year-old Deborah Socia and 61-year-old Maria Gonzalez. He was convicted earlier this month on first degree murder, felony murder and other charges.
WWJ Newsradio 950 has learned that Gonzalez’s family has filed a lawsuit against the Pablo Davis Elder Living Center, as well as KMG Prestige Management for the cause of the shooting. According to the lawsuit, the center was aware that Reda kept a rifle on the premises after being warned by other tenants that he had previously fired the weapon into a cemetery behind the complex.