The only way our laws will change is if people like YOU put pressure on our politicians in the U.S. Congress and State Senates.
Follow these simple steps:
Step 1) Find out who your US Senators and Representative are at http://www.opencongress.org/people/zipcodelookup
Step 2) Find out who your State Senator is from the State Senate website in your state.
Step 3) If possible, coordinate with your neighbors and friends in the area and all make contact on the same day or in the same week.
Step 4) Call, email and/or write to each of your representatives and ask which of the “Big Ten” gun safety measures they support:
- Do you support universal background checks, including in private sales? If not, why not?
- Do you support an assault weapons ban? If not, why not?
- Do you support mandatory child safety locks on all guns? If not, why not?
- Do you support mandatory safe gun storage laws, particularly if a household contains a minor or person adjudicated mentally ill? If not, why not?
- Do you support repealing the 2005 Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which prevents victims from holding the gun industry to account? If not, why not?
- Do you support limiting magazine sizes to ensure law enforcement are not outgunned? If not, why not?
- Do you support mandatory duty of states to report persons with mental health issues to the Federal background check system? If not, why not?
- Do you support mandatory liability insurance for all gun owners? If not, why not?
- Do you support mandatory reporting by gun owners of lost or stolen guns? If not, why not?
- Do you support Smart Gun technology to ensure only approved adults can fire a weapon, as soon as the technology is state-of-the-art? If not, why not?
Step 5) Note down the answers you receive, share them with people in your area and, if possible, publish them to the web. Use #gunsense if posting to Twitter.
Step 6) Attend in-person meetings with your representatives and demand that they support these commonsense gun safety measures.
Thanks for reading and keep working for commonsense gun laws in America.
Every single minute you commit to this fight will prevent more Americans from experiencing that terrifying minute when gun violence erupts.
Follow US Gun Violence and spread the message that “Strong Gun Laws Save Lives”.